Get FREE Medicare Help in Florida and Texas

Medicare is a maze. You may find yourself quickly approaching 65, the magic number when you become eligible. With that comes a load of information about Medicare and its parts. You might be searching for answers on what exactly Medicare is, how it works, and how to choose the right plan. That’s where we come in.

Lacayo Group Insurance is here to educate you on all things Medicare: the different parts, enrollment periods, penalties, and much more. This is a new journey that you don’t have to go through alone — our licensed Florida agents will walk alongside you and guide you through the process.

What Is Medicare?

Medicare is a national health insurance program for people 65 and older, and under 65 with certain disabilities or end-stage renal disease (kidney failure).

The history of Medicare goes back to 1965, when President Lyndon B. Johnson signed a bill into law so that eligible people could get the health coverage they needed from a federal government program. At first, the coverage was restricted to Part A and Part B. 

The coverage has evolved over the years to cover more people, and now, more than 50 million people are on Medicare. While Parts A and B (called Original Medicare) will provide coverage for 80% of your expenses, there are supplemental policies that you can buy to help with the other 20%. 

Receive Your Consultation!

Parts of Medicare Chart

Medicare is separated into four main parts: A, B, C, and D. 

What Parts of Medicare Do You Need?

Is Medicare your only coverage? If so, you’ll need Parts A and B. You must have both Parts A and B to be eligible for either a Medicare Advantage plan or a Medicare Supplement plan. 

Most beneficiaries need Part D, too. But some folks may not need it because they have other drug coverage.

Medicare vs. Medicaid

A common question asked is, how are Medicare and Medicaid different?

Medicare is a program that serves the elderly population, while Medicaid is healthcare and/or financial assistance for low-income people. 

Some folks who are 65 and older can qualify for Medicare and Medicaid (called dual eligibles). In that case, Medicare is primary and Medicaid is secondary.

Medicare Enrollment Periods

We can help you make sense of all the enrollment periods and what they mean for you. Here’s a list of the periods, and you can view the table below for more details:

  • Initial Enrollment Period (IEP) 
  • Annual Election Period (AEP) 
  • General Enrollment Period 
  • Medicare Advantage Open Enrollment (MAOEP)
  • Special Enrollment Period (SEP) 
  • Medigap Open Enrollment Period

* The AEP is for those who already have Medicare Parts A and B.

What Medicare Doesn’t Cover

It’s important to know that Original Medicare doesn’t cover everything. For example, you may need one or more of the following, at some point:

  • Long-term care
  • Hearing aids
  • Dentures
  • Routine dental and vision care
  • Massage therapy
  • Plastic surgery
  • Health care outside the U.S.

Depending on your situation, you may consider long-term care insurance, a Medicare Advantage plan, or a Medigap plan that provides more coverage.

Need Help? Contact Us.

If you live in Florida or Texas and need help with your Medicare options, contact Lacayo Group Insurance today.